The standards of workplace policy have been fluid as the pandemic continues to change the way Minnesota companies do business. But the values that guided corporate decisions have remained the same – or should have been.
These values - the way companies treat their employees and customers, the way they interact with their communities – are the focus of the Top Workplaces program.
Nominations for the Star Tribune 2022 program are now open at startribune.com/nominate or 612-605-3306. This is the 13th year of the program and the deadline is February 4th. The winners will be announced publicly at an event in June and featured in a special section.
Any organization with 50 or more employees in Minnesota can participate, whether they are publicly traded, private, non-profit, or government agencies.
Workplaces should allow their employees to participate in a 24-question survey conducted by Star Tribune partner Energage, based in Pennsylvania. Companies will be surveyed from January to March.
Energage partners with media companies in 61 markets across the country to administer the program and, over the past year, has surveyed more than 2 million employees in more than 8,000 workplaces.
In Minnesota last year, 396 companies employing 175,176 people participated in the survey. Of these, 297 met national Top Workplaces standards, including the 175 ranked companies.
The Energage surveys cover seven areas, including these organizational health factors that measure how well employees are working together for a common cause:
• Alignment: Where the company is heading, its values, its cooperation.
• Effectiveness: Getting it right, sharing different points of view, encouraging new ideas.
• Connection: employees feel appreciated, that their work has meaning.
• My manager: Cares about problems, helps me learn and grow. In addition, the survey asks employees about other factors:
• Employee engagement: Loyalty, motivation and referencing of the company to others.
• Leader: Confidence in the leadership of the company.
• The fundamentals: Remuneration, advantages, flexibility.